Monday, January 21, 2008

Royalty-Free, Me?

This one starts at a Wal-Mart, in a town called La Fayette. I went into Wal-Mart after a great day of climbing to find some small plastic containers for a positive behavior activity for my students. As I'm wandering around trying to find the containers section or the arts and crafts isle when I stumbled across this photo:



I stood there for a while staring at the details, looking for my birthmark, teeth, eye color, etc. All with the purpose of determining if this was me from age 5! I am 100% certain that this photo was one from a bunch that I did as a child. I remember the shoot vividly. As I kid I did alot of print modeling. This particular shoot was for a store called Brandon's (which no longer exists).

I have no idea how Wal-Mart got ahold of my baby pictures but I feel that if my image and likeness is being displayed, I should a: be notified of this, and b: be getting royalties if entitled.

So, if any of my friends out there have any advice or could shed some light on my Wal-Mart predicament your comments are greatly welcomed.
I know climbers can be found in Wal-Marts across the country, I'm just asking you all to take a look for me next time.
My friend told the me she's seen that photo in two other stores around the south! Crazy!

Other photos from the same shoot hanging in my house:






Wal-Mart photos by Angie Payne and Jamie Emerson. Just giving credit where it's do.

Well see ya later,
-SG

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny. I will be sure to look for you next time I am at Wal-Mart. Although I'm not sure what people would think if I started recognizing pictures of little kids in random places.

Jason Lancaster said...

I'd guess that somehow walmart bought out someone's property rights in a bankruptcy at some point... but I really have no clue. No matter how you look at it, it's really odd to see a picture of yourself in a retail store.

This reminds me of an article I read recently on how big companies don't respect the copyrights of photos people upload to sites like flickr, etc:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/08/AR2008010804626_pf.html

Maybe that helps? If not, good luck!

Anonymous said...

I can ask my roommate. She's a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

pretty much given the time and the rights of the photographer, I doubt you can do anything about it. The photographer could have sold the photo to a stock company/site and there Walmart could have picked it up. Just enjoy knowing that your ugly face will live on.

Brownman said...

Thats to funny Scotty!

Scott Gross said...

Thanks guys!
Brian,
It's just me. Twenty-three years later, still keepin' it real.

Jason,
Thanks so much for that article it was interesting and thought-provoking.

Ma'am,
Gracias my Puerto Rican petunia.

Wes,
Always keepin' it realer, than I want to hear.
Speaking as your apparent role-model in realness and how one keeps it, I can value and respect your comment. Word.

Brownman,
Come caving with us and we'll go Wal-Mart after and it'll just be a good ol' time in La Fayette, GA! WOOOA!

I really appreciate the time you guys take to talk with me, so thanks again!

PLEASE KEEP THE ADVICE COMING!

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit dude. I remember that photo from about 15 years ago when it was in a Big Red (what became target) over on Sandy Springs Circle. How crazy!!

akorn said...

Scotty that is pretty funny. Since you were a minor, your parents would have had to sign a model release for the photographer to legally license the images, whether royalty-free or not. If you want to find out more, I would suggest asking your parents about it and try to get in touch with the photographer. Chances are he/she is not around anymore, but there is probably still some agent or agency responsible for licensing those images.

Funny. I have several photos of Sam (my 4-year-old son) that are doing well as stock photos. I get the licensing reports every month: An advertisement in some spanish magazine, a retail store-front display in France, etc.

Someday he will sue me. Probably not, because he takes way better photos than I do already.

akorn