Thursday, November 13, 2008

He's Alive!!!!

You guys must think I've been abducted by atliens or something, huh?

I haven't been climbing much. However, right after I bought my bike I was riding around one night and found this entrance to the Chattahoochee National Park. The road was about .5 miles long and dirt/gravel. I hadn't seen a dirt road in a while, and was especially psyched because I was on the scoot and it would be it's first off-road experience.

Long story short...I wound up finding a cool unclimbed, solid boulder. It had obvious starting jugs semi-low to the ground and interesting/seemingly nonexistent holds on a severely overhung slab with slopey/sharp crimper features at a lip too far out to make this a cakewalk boulder. So I was pysched and got to cleaning!

This kind of thing doesn't happen everyday in Atlanta. I don't think I had a boulder that was less than 3 miles from my house in Tahoe! Or Burlington, or Athens, Ogden(maybe). Yosemite doesn't count, climbing is life there.

So the story behind the name of the boulder.

The Stache Boulder

It was a humid 92 degree day on the river's edge. I finished removing a ton of dirt from the top lip of the boulder after a long struggle with bare hands. I guess at some point in my battle with the dirt I wiped the sweat from my upper lip and consequently gave myself a hitler-stache! I was solo that day. No one else to tell a brother about his gnarly dirt-hitler-stache.
On the hike out I was bushwhacking to find the most direct route up to the memorized trail. Huffin' like the big bad wolf with a hitler-stache I summit and onto the main trail of "mountain." Crashpad and crap on my back I was forced into conversation by, "Whoa, what's that for?" from 2 mid-50's women. I said, "Oh you know, just been doin' a little rock climbin' keepin' it real, you know just everyday life for a G." We had a normal conversation for maybe a minute or so and I peaced out. When I got to the car, I noticed, and wondered if I'd somehow tainted the "rock climber" persona in those ladies minds...whoops, sorry guys. I still wonder...

So, here's some off-center homemade fisheye footage of the FA's
The Stache Boulder
(under your noses)
problems:
1. No name yet v6(ish)?
2. No name either v4(ish)? (2nd Andrew Mallet)
3. My President Is Black v8(ish)? (That left crimp is Litz-like. And you ain't goin' to no jug either, it's two separate half-pad crimps. awkward thro yo.)



Well, see ya later.

-SG

3 comments:

ZCoffey said...

Mr. Gross, is Back! Sick video, nicely done.

Levi Rose said...

Great to see some new action! The prelude to the video had me laughing out loud. I'll be southbound late December, hopefully we can shred some skin together!

Anonymous said...

Nice video. I love finding unclimbed things and working on them. Great find